Sunday, January 24, 2010

Our first trip to the ER

Last night we had quite the little adventure. We were on our way out to go to dinner with Alan's dad. I was trying to get ready and could hear Ryan and Mari playing in the hallway. I then heard Mari screaming. Both Alan and I ran to see what was going on and saw the bathroom door closed and Mari's fingers stuck in the door. I opened the door and Alan grabbed her. We both looked at her had and saw her two middle fingers were bent. Alan describes it like a cartoon character who just had his hand smashed in the piano, and then their fingers are all wavy.
Needless to say we freaked out, she is screaming, Ryan is crying. It was a little crazy.
Alan told me we needed to get her to the ER because it looked like her fingers were broken. I am the paranoid one in the relationship, so when Alan says we need to get her to the doctor I don't question it. Thank Heavens his dad was there so we could leave Ryan with him.
Mari was crying the whole way to the Hospital and her fingers started to swell. This is when I start to totally panick.
We get to the hospital and they do some x-rays. Luckily there was a happy end to the story and nothing was broken. The doctor told us that she was actually really lucky because most kids come in with all their fingernails broken off or with major lacerations. She just walked away with swollen fingers.
Needless to say we had a little talk with Ryan about needing to be a little more careful with his sister and closing doors. It was sweet to hear him talk to her about it though. I could over hear him telling her that he was sorry she got hurt and that he doesn't like squishing her fingers in doors.
It was an exciting night, but one that I think I will be ok not repeating for a long time.

7 comments:

  1. Yay Patti! Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! That is scary. I'm so glad Mari is ok. How lucky that she didn't break anything or need any stitches.

    Also, welcome to the blogging world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant yay about the blog, not yay about the ER. ;) Crazy though! I'm so glad she's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you started a blog! sorry to hear about Mari. Glad that nothing was broken. Aaron has hit Sophia with the door a couple of times trying to open it and she was in the way! She has gotten some nice goose eggs on her head from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you guys have a blog now! I am still a blogging dumbo - don't know how to do anything neat, but the basics work for me. Your family picture is so cute! I'm so sorry to hear about Mari, I would be freaking out as well. Glad to hear she is okay! Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad everything turned out okay. I's write more but my kid is screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor baby! My sister has a gimpy finger from a slammed finger in a door incident when she was about her age, so she was a lucky little girl. Love that ya'll have a blog! Can't wait to hear more about what you are doing. :)

    ReplyDelete